Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Mimic ALIAS in Postgresql?

On Tue, 16 Jan 2024, 17:21 Ron Johnson, <ronljohnsonjr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Some RDBMSs have CREATE ALIAS, which allows you to refer to a table by a different name (while also referring to it by the original name).

We have an application running on DB2/UDB which (for reasons wholly unknown to me, and probably also to the current developer) extensively uses this with two schemas: MTUSER and MTQRY.  For example, sometimes refer to MTUSER.sometable and other times refer to it as MYQRY.sometable.

My goal is to present a way to migrate from UDB to PG with as few application changes as possible.  Thus, the need to mimic aliases.

Maybe updatable views?
CREATE VIEW mtqry.sometable AS SELECT * FROM mtuser.sometable;

I think views will work.  Alternative might be interpose a proxy to rewrite the SQL.  https://www.galliumdata.com/ gives you an idea of what this might look like although could do a lite version yourself.