Search Postgresql Archives

Re: [EXT]Re: running \copy through perl dbi ?

On 12/10/23 10:34, Johnson, Bruce E - (bjohnson) wrote:

On Dec 10, 2023, at 10:41 AM, Vincent Veyron <vv.lists@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:vv.lists@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

External Email

On Fri, 8 Dec 2023 10:45:28 -0500

Duh! I just realized that what I proposed with system() is a command line approach.

As David Johnston mentionned, you can use the SQL COPY command.

One thing to remember with the Perl DBI is that you can use a string variable in the $dbh->do() command.

Perl uses 2 different string variable delimiters:

1)  ‘ ‘ , which is exactly what you enter $s= ‘\copy * from foo as json’; will send that to the database without the need for escaping anything (unless you need to enter an actual ‘ in the command, in which case method two is better)

The issue is \copy is not a SQl statement, it is a psql(Postgres command line client) meta-command. This means it can only be used in psql.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona

Adrian Klaver