Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Postgresql and Athlon64 ?

NTPT wrote:
> Will I have some advantages, better performance etc using postgres
> 7.4 or postgres 8.x on Athlon64 system with 64 bit Linux distro ?Are
> there asome benchmark available or someone  personal experience ?
>

> Or should I stay in 32 bit platform  for a while ?

PG 8 works fine on 64-bit Linux running on AMD64.  So I wouldn't stay on
a 32-bit platform for that reason.  You are aware, of course, that
Opteron is better equipped than Athlon64 for memory-intensive tasks:
dual channel memory, (usually) more on-chip cache, etc.  Don't have any
hard benchmark numbers, but AMD claims about a 15% general performance
improvement switching from 32-bit to 64-bit.

--
Guy Rouillier