Search Postgresql Archives

Re: IPV6 issue

On 11/27/23 16:42, Atul Kumar wrote:
Hi,

unix_socket_directories is set to default i.e. /tmp and I could see the socket in /tmp directory.

You have not answered:

   How did you install Postgres?

   Do you have more then one version of psql installed?

Though I am pretty sure I know the answer to the second question.

Regards.

On Tue, Nov 28, 2023 at 2:11 AM Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx>> writes:
     > On 11/27/23 12:11, Atul Kumar wrote:
     >> I found that localhost was set to .bash_profile and when I
    removed it
     >> and then re-attempted to connected the database using "psql
    postgres", I
     >> got this new error:
     >>
     >> psql postgres -p 5432
     >> psql: error: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
     >>         Is the server running locally and accepting
     >>         connections on Unix domain socket
     >> "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

     > Do you have more then one version of psql installed?

    Yeah, that.  You're apparently using a version of psql/libpq that
    thinks the default Unix socket location is /var/run/postgresql;
    but the postmaster you are using did not create a socket there.
    (Probably it put one in /tmp instead, which is the out-of-the-box
    default location.  But some distros consider that insecure so they
    override it, typically to /var/run/postgresql/.)

    The easiest workaround if you have a mishmash of Postgres libraries
    is to tell the postmaster to create sockets in both places.
    See "unix_socket_directories" parameter.

                             regards, tom lane

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx