Search Postgresql Archives

Re: replication primary writting infinite number of WAL files

On 11/24/23 09:32, Les wrote:

Please Reply All to include list
Ccing list to get information back there.

Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx>> (2023. nov. 24., P, 17:50):

    On 11/24/23 03:39, Les wrote:
     > The only exception is a sequence
     > value that was moved millions of steps within a single minute. Of

    Did you determine this by looking at select * from some_seq?

select dd, (select max(id) from some_frequently_changed_table where created < dd) as id
FROM generate_series
         ( '2023-11-24 10:50'::timestamp
         , '2023-11-22 10:30'::timestamp
         , '-1 minute'::interval) dd
         ;

Here is a fragment from the first occasion:

2023-11-24 10:31:00.000|182920700600|
2023-11-24 10:30:00.000|182920700500|
2023-11-24 10:29:00.000|182920699900|
2023-11-24 10:28:00.000|182920699900|
2023-11-24 10:27:00.000|182920699900|
2023-11-24 10:26:00.000|182920663400|
2023-11-24 10:25:00.000|182920663400|
2023-11-24 10:24:00.000|176038405400|
2023-11-24 10:23:00.000|176038405400|
2023-11-24 10:22:00.000|176038405400|
2023-11-24 10:21:00.000|176038405400|
2023-11-24 10:20:00.000|169819538300|
2023-11-24 10:19:00.000|169819538300|
2023-11-24 10:18:00.000|169819538300|
2023-11-24 10:17:00.000|167912236800|
2023-11-24 10:16:00.000|164226477100|
2023-11-24 10:15:00.000|164226477100|
2023-11-24 10:14:00.000|153516704200|
2023-11-24 10:13:00.000|153516704200|
2023-11-24 10:12:00.000|153516704200|
2023-11-24 10:11:00.000|153516704200|
2023-11-24 10:10:00.000|153516704200|
2023-11-24 10:09:00.000|144613764500|
2023-11-24 10:08:00.000|144613764500|
2023-11-24 10:07:00.000|144613764500|
2023-11-24 10:06:00.000|144613764500|
2023-11-24 10:05:00.000|144312488400|

Sequence is incremented by 100,  so for example, between 2023-11-24 10:20:00 and 2023-11-24 10:21:00 it went up 62188671 steps. I think it is not possible to insert 62188671 rows into a table. A psql function might be able to increment a sequence 62M times / minute, I'm not sure.

On the second occasion, there these were the biggest:

dd                     |id          |
-----------------------+------------+
2023-11-24 10:50:00.000|182921196400|
2023-11-24 10:49:00.000|182921196400|
2023-11-24 10:48:00.000|182921196400|
2023-11-24 10:47:00.000|182921196400|
2023-11-24 10:46:00.000|182921192500|
2023-11-24 10:45:00.000|182921192500|
2023-11-24 10:44:00.000|182921192500|
2023-11-24 10:43:00.000|182921191900|
2023-11-24 10:42:00.000|182921191300|
2023-11-24 10:41:00.000|182921189900|
2023-11-24 10:40:00.000|182921189900|
2023-11-24 10:39:00.000|182921188100|
2023-11-24 10:38:00.000|182921188100|
2023-11-24 10:37:00.000|182921188100|
2023-11-24 10:36:00.000|182921188100|
2023-11-24 10:35:00.000|182920838600|
2023-11-24 10:34:00.000|182920838600|
2023-11-24 10:33:00.000|182920838600|
2023-11-24 10:32:00.000|182920838600|
2023-11-24 10:31:00.000|182920700600|
2023-11-24 10:30:00.000|182920700500|

    Are the servers open to the world and if so have you explored whether
    there has been an intrusion?

They are not open to the world. We did not see any sign of intrusion, but of course this is possible.

We are using dev databases that are created from snapshots of the standby. There is a possibility that a dev database instance (created from a snapshot of the standby) might have connected the primary just before it was reconfigured to be standalone. Can this be a problem?

    Do you have logs that cover the period from when it transitioned from
    working normally to going haywire?

Yes. That log only contains messages saying that "checkpoints are happening too frequently", nothing else.

    You are using repmgr which as I understand it uses streaming not
    logical
    replication.

Yes, we are using streaming replication.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx