Search Postgresql Archives

Re: postgres session termination

IF you use pg_pconnect(), never close your script, and this page always shows the same data to all users, then the temp table would work, although it is not necessarily quicker than selecting ALL the rows (i.e., don't bother with a temp table at all; just run the whole select every time.)

The usual method for handling this is the LIMIT and OFFSET clauses in a SELECT.

For example, this would get the results to put on the fifth page:

SELECT * FROM products ORDER BY stock_number DESC LIMIT 10 OFFSET 40;

Paul Tillotson

Rick Schumeyer wrote:

I think this is a common task, but I’m not sure how to do it.

I want to run a query that can return many records, display them

10 at a time, and be able to go forward/backward in the list. I’m

not concerned about the list changing after the initial query.

I’m accessing this via a php web page. I’m thinking that maybe

the best way to do this, other than re-running the query each time,

is to put the results into a temporary table. I think this will work

if I never call “disconnect” from the php script. My question is,

when does my Postgres session end? Is there a timeout?

Of course, if this is a really bad way to do this, I’m willing to

learn a better way!

Thanks!