Search Postgresql Archives

Re: FreeBSD 5.2.1, postgresql 7.4.5 and shared memory settings

Rick Apichairuk wrote:
I tried the settings you gave and they worked (with some caveats).

After I recompiled the FreeBSD kernel with the options:

options         SYSVSHM
options         SYSVMSG
options         SYSVSEM

options         SHMMAXPGS=131072
options         SEMMNI=128
options         SEMMNS=512
options         SEMUME=100
options         SEMMNU=256

I rebooted and attempted to start postgresql and it failed again. I
then ran sysctl -a to verify that the settings were correct. They were
not. Regardless of what's configured in the kernel conf file, the
default values were loaded.

I assume you added these variables to either the GENERIC or a custom kernel in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf. If you created a custom kernel called CUSTOM, then you would:

cd /usr/src
make buildkernel KERNCONF=CUSTOM
make installkernel KERNCONF=CUSTOM

Just wanted to verify that you built and installed the kernel using the config file that has the settings you listed above (your sysctl output would indicate otherwise).

Sven

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend