Search Postgresql Archives

Postgresql HA cluster

Hello,

I am new to PostgreSQL and having to migrate a Cassandra cluster to PostgreSQL.

Have a reasonable amount of experience with MySQL and use Master -> Master MySQL replication quite successfully.

I am trying to understand what configuration/option to pick for PostgreSQL that will provide the same or similar level of operational easy as the Cassandra cluster. What I mean by that is : Backups, Patching (rebooting nodes to patch)

With Cassandra any single node can be patched and rebooting without incurring downtime. This is also true with MySQL master->master replication, which we have fronted by a HAproxy reverse proxy (we can fail over between the two MySQL node, draining the connections as we do so and then patching and reboot).

I have found the following documentation:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/different-replication-solutions.html

and have heard of “Traktor”, “pgEdge” and some other third-party tools.

My difficulty is that with very little knowledge of PostgreSQL I am having a hard time sorting through the various options and determining which are potential candidates for the kind of setup I am looking for (something approximating MySQL master->master replication).

Any advice or resources would be much appreciated.

Regards

Jason Grammenos

Jason Grammenos | Operations & Infrastructure Analyst
Pronouns: he/him
P: 613.232.7797 x1131
Toll-free: 866.545.3745 x1131
jason.grammenos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
agilitypr.com

Learn new PR tips from our free resources.