Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Gradual migration from integer to bigint?

On 10/1/23 12:04, Ireneusz Pluta wrote:
W dniu 30.09.2023 o 07:55, James Healy pisze:
We shouldn't have let them get so big, but that's a conversation
for another day.

Some are approaching overflow and we're slowly doing the work to
migrate to bigint. Mostly via the well understood "add a new id_bigint
column, populate on new tuples, backfill the old, switch the PK"
method. The backfill is slow on these large tables, but it works and
there's plenty of blog posts and documentation to follow.
wouldn't wrapping to negative numbers like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYRgTazYuZ4&t=1338s be a solution for you? At least for buying more time for the slow migration process. Or even as a definite solution if you now take care and not let the keys grow too quickly.

The application might not react well to negative numbers.

--
Born in Arizona, moved to Babylonia.