Search Postgresql Archives

How to synchronize the read/write DB on my laptop with the read-only DB on cloud (primary on premises, replica on cloud)?

Summary
-------
I need to set up a read-only DB on the cloud which will synchronize
with the read/write DB on my laptop whenever possible (that is,
whenever I connect my laptop to the Internet). Need some pointers on
what sort of replication that I'm supposed to use and how to set it
up.

Details
-------
Hello,

I'm developing a database that will be used for business intelligence.
That is, there are some CSV reports. Using them, I've created a data
model and I'm parsing and loading the reports to the local DB that
I've created. The business team needs to be able to read this data in
order to use them in their analyses (such as using tools like
PowerBI), so I need to put this data somewhere that's always reachable
from the Internet.

Thing is, the local DB on my laptop is always in development. That is,
the tables keep changing, views keep changing, data keeps being
changed, etc. Developing directly on the cloud DB is slow.
Furthermore, I would need constant Internet access to develop on the
cloud DB. Hence, I'm thinking that if there was a solution that will
allow me to develop on my laptop and eventually (doesn't need to be
instant) synchronizes my local DB with the cloud DB (both the data
model and the data itself) automatically, whenever possible (whenever
I connect my laptop to the Internet), I believe this would be the
solution that I need.

I've read the documentation but it's pretty complex. I got the
impression that streaming replication would be what I need but it
mentions something like the standby server connecting to the primary
server. This would not be possible since the primary server is in a
laptop, which is not reachable from the public Internet. I believe
this could be worked around by using a VPN and connecting both my
laptop and the cloud DB to the same VPN.

For reference, I'm using AWS RDS if it makes any difference.

Regards