Search Postgresql Archives

Re: rollback to savepoint issue

On 2023-Sep-04, Erik Wienhold wrote:

> On 04/09/2023 16:56 CEST David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Monday, September 4, 2023, Erik Wienhold <ewie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > On 04/09/2023 11:51 CEST Lorusso Domenico <domenico.l76@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > >  > The original code in embedded in a function, but the problem is the same:
> > >
> > >  Transaction control is not possible in functions. Only in procedures (CALL)
> > >  and DO blocks.
> >
> > Then explain why the original savepoint command wasn’t a syntax, or runtime,
> > error?
>
> I don't need to because CREATE {FUNCTION | PROCEDURE} already fails because of
> ROLLBACK TO SAVEPOINT.  And without a function to execute there can't be any
> runtime error because of SAVEPOINT.  My point was about transaction control in
> plpgsql in general.

You can create the function nonetheless if you set check_function_bodies
to OFF beforehand.  Then it's a "syntax" error detected at runtime.

55432 17devel 1274266=# create function quarrel() returns void language plpgsql as $$ begin savepoint foo; insert into foo default values; rollback to savepoint foo; end $$;
ERROR:  syntax error at or near "to"
LINE 1: ...int foo; insert into foo default values; rollback to savepoi...
                                                             ^

55432 17devel 1274266=# set check_function_bodies to 0;
SET

55432 17devel 1274266=# create function quarrel() returns void language plpgsql as $$ begin savepoint foo; insert into foo default values; rollback to savepoint foo; end $$;
CREATE FUNCTION

55432 17devel 1274266=# select quarrel();
ERROR:  syntax error at or near "to"
LINE 1: ...int foo; insert into foo default values; rollback to savepoi...
                                                             ^
QUERY:   begin savepoint foo; insert into foo default values; rollback to savepoint foo; end
CONTEXT:  compilation of PL/pgSQL function "quarrel" near line 1

But it gets worse.  If you create a procedure (no longer a function)
with a SAVEPOINT and ROLLBACK TO SAVEPOINT, it'll complain about the
ROLLBACK TO command, but not about SAVEPOINT; and if you remove that,
then it'll fail at runtime saying that SAVEPOINT is unsupported.

So it's not super consistent about how it report these various problems.

"El sudor es la mejor cura para un pensamiento enfermo" (Bardia)