Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Converting sql anywhere to postgres

On 8/15/23 08:04, Russell Rose | Passfield Data Systems wrote:
Hi there

I am trying to convert a SQL Anywhere database to postgres. Within SQL anywhere a field can have a default value of ‘last user’. This means that when you perform an update on a table, if the field is not explicitly set then the current user is used. So for instance if I have a field called mod_user in a table, but when I do an update on the table and do not set mod_user then SQL Anywhere sets the field to current_uer. I have tried to replicate this using a postgres trigger in the before update. However, if I do not set the value then it automatically picks up the value that was already in the field. Is there a way to tell the difference between me setting the value to the same as the previous value and postgres automatically picking it up.

Not that I know of. In Postgres an UPDATE is essentially a DELETE of the OLD tuple and an INSERT of a new tuple. You cannot determine whether the same value in a given field for the OLD/NEW records was explicitly set the same or just carried over.

If the field myfield contains the word ‘me’. Can I tell the difference between:

Update table1 set field1=’something’,myfield=’me’

And

Update table1 set field1=’something’

--
Adrian Klaver