Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Cast INTEGER to BIT confusion

> On 15/08/2023 10:49 CEST [Quipsy] Markus Karg <karg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hello PostgreSQL Community,
>
> I like to store just a single bit but that can be either 1 or 0, so I tried
> to do this:
>
> CREATE TABLE T (c BIT);
> INSERT INTO T VALUES (1);
> -- I MUST NOT change both lines in any way as these are part of a third-party application!
>
> Unfortunately this tells me:
>
> column "c" is of type bit but expression is of type integer
>
> So I logged in as a cluster admin and I tried this:
>
> CREATE CAST (integer AS bit) WITH INOUT AS IMPLICIT;
>
> Unfortunately that tells me:
>
> cast from type integer to type bit already exists
>
> This is confusing! Apparently PostgreSQL 15.3 comes with the needed cast
> out-of-the-box but it does not apply it? This is confusing!
>
> What is my fault?

The built-in cast is explicit (castcontext = 'e'):

	=# SELECT * FROM pg_cast WHERE castsource = 'int'::regtype AND casttarget = 'bit'::regtype;
	  oid  | castsource | casttarget | castfunc | castcontext | castmethod
	-------+------------+------------+----------+-------------+------------
	 10186 |         23 |       1560 |     1683 | e           | f
	(1 row)

It's not possible to drop that cast and replace it with a custom one:

	=# DROP CAST (int AS bit);
	ERROR:  cannot drop cast from integer to bit because it is required by the database system

You could create a custom domain if you're only interested in values 0 and 1
and don't use bit string functions.  The search path must be changed so that
domain bit overrides pg_catalog.bit:

	=# CREATE SCHEMA xxx;
	=# CREATE DOMAIN xxx.bit AS int;
	=# SET search_path = xxx, pg_catalog;
	=# CREATE TABLE t (c bit);
	=# INSERT INTO t VALUES (1);
	INSERT 0 1

But I would do that only if the third-party code cannot be tweaked because the
custom domain could be confusing.  It's also prone to errors as it relies on a
specific search path order.  Also make sure that regular users cannot create
objects in schema xxx that would override objects in pg_catalog.

--
Erik