Search Postgresql Archives

Re: /usr/local/pgsql is empty after successful of make

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 7, 2023 at 12:00 AM Aramaki Zyake <zyake.mk4@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a general question about PostgreSQL.
> Yeasterday, I tried to build PostgreSQL from source code and the make command succeeded, but /usr/local/pgsql directory was empty even owner of pgsql was postgres user.
>
> I invoked following commands by postgres user.
>
> CFLAGS=-O0 ./configure --enable-debug
> make  -j 2 > make.log
> [...]
> As far as I remember, these commands/arguments were sufficient to move built artifacts into /usr/local/pgsql in the past.

I don't think it ever behaved that way, but I might be wrong.

> What should I do to move built artifacts into /usr/local/pgsql?

the default (all) target only compiles artifacts, you need to invoke
"make install" to copy the various artifacts in the location specified
during configure (or default location), as documented in step 4 of
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/install-procedure.html.