Search Postgresql Archives

Aw: Re: question on auto_explain

> On Thu, Aug 3, 2023 at 9:29 AM Karsten Hilbert <Karsten.Hilbert@xxxxxxx[mailto:Karsten.Hilbert@xxxxxxx]> wrote:
>>
>>  https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/auto-explain.html[https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/auto-explain.html]
>>
>> don't explicitely state that it does so, too. Nor can I read impliciteness that
>> "normal" EXPLAIN is *run* by auto_explain.
>
> auto_explain automatically produces the explain output of a query that is running for reals.  The effect is identical to running explain analyze except your output > here is whatever the query would produce instead of the explain output, which instead goes into the log.

Thanks David. I take this to mean that auto_explain produces the same side-effects as manually running "explain analyze" does.

Would this warrant a documentation patch ?  Like so:

  auto_explain.log_analyze causes EXPLAIN ANALYZE output, rather than just EXPLAIN output, to be printed when an execution plan is logged. Hence
  the same caveats apply for INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE queries.

Also, doesn't this makes auto_explain.log_analyze = TRUE rather surprising as it
can make any INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE fail when it is slow for some reason ...

Thanks,
Karsten