Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PostgreSQL - How to login with my Linux user account

On 7/28/23 07:00, Amn Ojee Uw wrote:
First of all, my gratitude to Adrian and David for taking the time to reply to my call for help; a 1k  thanks to you kids.

Having stated the above, PostgreSQL provides a default database namely 'postgres'. Taking advantage of this service, I have change the 'psql' statement to 'psql -d postgres -U my_linux_user_name -W', I then entered my Linux account login password and got this error messages :
/*$ psql -d postgres -U my_linux_user_name -W *//*
*//*Password: *//*
*//*psql: error: connection to server on socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432" failed: FATAL:  Peer authentication failed for user "my_linux_user_name"*/

1) See

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/auth-peer.html

2) What OS are you on and how did you install Postgres?

3) Try

sudo -u postgres psql postgres

4) Provide the content of pg_hba.conf that starts at the line below

# TYPE  DATABASE        USER            ADDRESS                 METHOD

I also, using 'postres' account, have created another user account, chispa, who is a superuser; when trying to login as 'chispa' and using the above statement (/*psql -d postgres -U chispa -W *//*)*/ PostgreSQL throws the same error message.
/**/

What am I doing wrong?
Is there a webpage that explains how to login to PostgreSQL as other than 'postgres'?

Thanks in advance.