Search Postgresql Archives

Re: How to check for Overlapping Date Ranges with extra fields in table EXCLUDE constraint?

Dominique Devienne schrieb am 26.07.2023 um 11:39:
> On Wed, Jul 26, 2023 at 11:26 AM Dionisis Kontominas <dkontominas@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:dkontominas@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>         Dionisis Kontominas schrieb am 26.07.2023 um 11:00:
>         > do not want two records to overlap, for the same user, the same role
>         > and also when the f_is_deleted is TRUE only.
>         > I do not care for the records when the f_is_deleted is FALSE on them; i.e. they should not be part of the restriction/constraint.
>         > How can I achieve this?
>
>             EXCLUDE USING gist (f_portal_user_id WITH =, f_portal_role_id WITH =, DATERANGE(f_start_date, f_end_date, '[]') WITH &&) where (f_is_deleted)
>

> But that requires the btree_gist extension [1] extension, no?

Yes, but that would also be the case if you didn't include the WHERE clause.

The "WITH =" is the reason you need the btree_gist extension.

> So how well do exclusion constraints scale to 100K or 1M rows?
> What's their time-complexity?

They are using a GIST index, so I would expect all restrictions and advantages that apply
to GIST indexes in general, also apply to exclusion constraints.

The main drawback is most probably the slower update compared to a Btree index.

Unless you have a really high update frequency, I wouldn't worry about that for such a small table.