Search Postgresql Archives

Re: suggestion about time based partitioning and hibernate

On 2023-Jul-18, Luca Ferrari wrote:

> Dear all,
> I'm looking for ideas here, and it could be someone already stepped
> into declarative partitioning of an existing database where Hibernate
> (a Java ORM) handles the tables.
> The situation is as follows:
>
> create table foo( id primary key, a_date date, ... );
>
> Now, the trivial way to partition this would be on a range based on
> a_date, so that the primary key of the tables shifts from id to (id,
> a_date).

Hmm.  If you can make partitioning give you some benefit without having
to change the model, then by all means explore it.  But if you're forced
to change the model (in this case, by adding a column to your primary
key), that is going to cause you lots of pain, and some queries might
become slower rather than faster.  Therefore I suggest to avoid doing
that.  Either look at some other partitioning scheme that doesn't
involve adding columns to the primary key, or disregard partitioning for
this table entirely.