Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Question: Multiple pg clusters on one server can be reached with the standard port.

On 6/20/23 09:54, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
On 2023-06-19 16:09:34 -0500, Ron wrote:
     On 2023-06-19 07:49:49 -0500, Ron wrote:
         On 6/19/23 05:33, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
             So (again, as Francisco already wrote) the best way is probably to write
             a simple proxy which uses the database (not DNS) name for routing. I
             seem to remember that nginx has a plugin architecture for protocols so
             it might make sense to write that as an nginx plugin instead of a
             standalone server, but that's really a judgement call the programmer has
             to make. Another possibility would of course be to extend pgbouncer to
             do what the OP needs.

         How would this work with JDBC clients?

     Same as with any other client, I guess. Any reason why it should be
     different?

That goes to my ultimate point: why would this work, when the point of a
database client is to connect to a database instance on a specific port like
5432, not connect to a web server.
Consider this scenario:

You have several databases scattered across several hosts and ports:

db1  host1.example.com:5432
db2  host1.example.com:5433
db3  host2.example.com:5432
db4  host3.example.com:5432

Then you have your proxy/gateway/bouncer (whatever you want to call it)
listening on proxy.example.com:5432.

Proxies/gateways are great. My question is about why you mentioned nginx.

--
Born in Arizona, moved to Babylonia.