Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Splitting queries across servers

With a Quad Opteron (4 memory slots per CPU), you could put 64GB of RAM onto a single machine using 4GB DIMMs in every slot.

The other option is to explore static memory storage. It's probably too expensive to put your entire DB onto such a device but moving just the WAL there would give you a pretty decent jump in write performance. (I ran some tests way back simulating this by using a RAMDISK to store the WAL files and got ~60% increase in an update-heavy mix.)

Max wrote:
Hello,

Our postgresql database is getting too big to be handled by one server. We
need the database to be in RAM and cannot afford swapping. At the moment,
we're using only 3GB or RAM, however our business growth is going to drive
this number into the double digits zone, maybe triple digits.

What are our options ?

I am a little bit ignorant in this part of RDBM. Can we distribute our
tables across multiple servers (read server+postgres) and perform
distributed SQL queries ? If so, how does that work ? I am totally
resourceless!

Thank you in advance

Max.

      joining column's datatypes do not match