Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Question about where to deploy the business logics for data processing

On 6/9/23 11:36, Nim Li wrote:
Hello,

Thank you so so much for all the feedback so far.  :D

About this comment:

> "... an application that requires changing the data model does not seem to be well designed...don't allow model change by the business logic..."

I work in a science research faculity.  When researchers start a project, they don't necessary get the full picture of what they are hoping to achive (yet they may get some ideas about the starting point that allow them to move forward)  By the time they see 40% percent of what they have done, they may start to have a different thought and move towards a different direction, or in some cases, they may spin it off to something different after a certain period of time  Coming with my Agile Development mindset in the research area, it is common for me to see users changing their requirement and expectation, with the same buckets for the data.  Yes, there is quite a lot of work to keep the researchers happy.  ;-)

I suppose when there is a specific end-goal to achive for a project, a more specific design can be more feasible based on the goal.  But when the end-goal is not necessary clear, and/or change-able, I am not exactly clear how we may draw a black-and-white line to determine a design is good or not (.. and for how long...)

Seems to me you are looking for a two part set up:

1) A experiment play ground where ideas and processes can be tested out in a more free form manner. Some example software I have used or experimented with that can fill that role:

Pandas
https://pandas.pydata.org/

Duckdb
https://duckdb.org/

Polars
https://pola-rs.github.io/polars-book/

2) Once something that resembles a solid plan has been developed then move to Postgres or not.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx