Search Postgresql Archives

Re: pg_dump shell script with ~/.pgpass

MargaretGillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I posted the message below on 1/15/05 and haven't received a reply yet.
Should I be asking this question on a different list?

This is probably the right list - your message may have been missed though, there can be a lot of traffic.

I need to create a shell script for cron.daily to run that will do pg_dump for my database. I am using Redhat 9 and Postgresql v7.3.4. Currently when I run the dump manually the command I use is

#pg_dump -u -C -D -f /tmp/owl.sql owl

What should the command look like using ~/.pgpass ?

Well, from cron, I'd add an explicit username "-U username" and then in your .pgpass add the host/port/db/user/password as described in the manuals (client interfaces/libc/files).

My other question... Is cron.daily is being run by root? If so would I need
to put the .pgpass file in root's home directory?

Yes and yes. Also, make sure you chmod the file as described in the manual.
The alternative would be to set up a crontab for another user, and place the .pgpass in their home-dir.

I only have two postgresql users right now, myself and postgres.  On the
redhat server I have only two users, myself and root, there is no user
postgres.

Are you sure? There are almost certainly dozens of users in /etc/passwd and if you installed by RPM then there *will* be a user postgres. That's not to say you can just login as them though - they might have their shell disabled.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

   (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)