Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Guidance on INSERT RETURNING order

We do something different for uuids.  These are usually created client side anyway or are very easy to create client side if not and then we also have a separate sentinel column option.

Overall the whole thing is an optimization that can be turned off for uncommon cases.   We just can't go back to having insert of 1000 rows be 3-5x slower for all tables w server generated primary keys which is what statement at a time gets us.  Surrogate integer Pks w sequence or identity is the big case.