Search Postgresql Archives

Re: TEXT column > 1Gb

On 4/12/23 11:24, Benedict Holland wrote:
For documents that long I would seriously consider using large objects and refencing them with their OIDs. Text fields get put in a special location within the database. It's similar (possibly exactly) to using large objects. Also, you can potentially compress them to save space on write and read. 1gb of text is a lot of text.

I've gone down the premature optimization coded/compressed route and am still regretting it. I would either not bother or move to LO as per Benedict's suggestion.  The test may come to whether you plan to use database features (functions, procedures) to work on the data versus feeding it out to the endless list of sequence/genetic analysis tools.   General compression is robust and fast.  My custom code/comp is likely neither :( .