Search Postgresql Archives

RE: pg_ctlcluster is not stopping cluster

>The mix between 13 and 15 here is what I’d consider a misconfiguration.

As I inherited this (and I'm somewhat new to pgsql), I'm trying to understand this.  From the docs I read online, the postmaster.pid file is supposed to reside in the data directory.  Which it does.  So that's ok.

Does the fact that the database resides in the /var/lib/postgresql/13 mean I have multiple pgsql servers running?  (Does the directory name make a big difference)  Can I just kill all pgsql processes and move the directory into the /15 directory and problem solved?

It feels like I'm missing something obvious...why would the directory matter so much (since pgsql is clearly tracking it in the right dir)