Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Convert pg_constraint.conkey array to same-order array of column names

On 3/24/23 03:28, Dominique Devienne wrote:
On Thu, Mar 23, 2023 at 4:20 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On 3/23/23 04:12, Dominique Devienne wrote:
     > CROSS JOIN LATERAL UNNEST(cnstr.conkey) WITH ORDINALITY AS
    cols(value, rank)
     >   ORDER BY cols.rank
    A before coffee solution:

Thanks for answering Adrian. And sorry for the delay in responding.

    WITH ck AS (
          SELECT
              conrelid,
              unnest(conkey) AS ky
          FROM
              pg_constraint
          WHERE
              conrelid = 'cell_per'::regclass
    )

This part surprised me. I didn't know a table-valued function could be used like this on the select-clause.

Both queries below yield the same rows for me, in the same order:

=> select conname, unnest(conkey), conrelid::regclass::text from pg_constraint where conrelid::regclass::text like ... and cardinality(conkey) = 8; => select conname, key.value, conrelid::regclass::text from pg_constraint cross join lateral unnest(conkey) as key(value) where conrelid::regclass::text like ... and cardinality(conkey) = 8;

So your compact form is equivalent to the second form?
What about the order? Is it guaranteed?
I was "raised" on the "order is unspecified w/o an order-by-clause". Why would be it be different here? In our case, the query is more complex, with joins on pg_namespace, pg_class, and pg_attribute, on all constraints of a schema, and the order came out wrong w/o adding WITH ORDINALITY and ordering on it.

Your original question was:

"But I'm wondering about getting 1 row per constraint instead,
and fetching an array of column names.

So is there a way to "convert" int2[] conkey array into a text[] of those
column names?"

That is what I showed as a simple example.

Thus I worry the order is plan-dependent, and not guaranteed. Am I wrong to worry? The form you provide seems no different from our old form, to my non-expert eye. --DD

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx