Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PostgreSQL vs MariaDB

Here is an EDB presentation on this from 2019

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, March 24, 2023 10:49 AM
To: Inzamam Shafiq <inzamam.shafiq@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: pgsql-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <pgsql-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL vs MariaDB

On Fri, Mar 24, 2023 at 7:07 AM Inzamam Shafiq
<inzamam.shafiq@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Can someone please list pros and cons of MariaDB vs PostgreSQL that actually needs serious consideration while choosing the right database for large OLTP DBs (Terabytes)?

For me, security is important. I don't want to do a lot of late night
patching, and I don't want to cleanup after a data breach. When
vendors pitch a product with a database, I insist on a PostgreSQL
backend.

MySQL makes regular appearances on BugTraq. MySQL has over 1700 CVEs
going back to 1999.[1] It tells me there are problems with the
engineering process.

MariaDB adds additional CVEs on top of MySQL, but the count appears
low. I have never separated the purely MariaDB flaws from the
underlying MySQL flaws.

In contrast, PostgreSQL has about 240 CVEs going back to 1999.[2] It
tells me PostgreSQL has a better engineering process.

Jeff

[1] https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvekey.cgi?keyword=MySQL
[2] https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvekey.cgi?keyword=PostgreSQL