Search Postgresql Archives

Re: How to behive if I remove password from postgres role

On 3/15/23 09:02, Raivo Rebane wrote:
HI

I wanted to install PostGIS Bundle so that it builds a sample spatial database, but got error - createdb: error: connection to server at "localhost" (::1), port 5432 failed: FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "postgres"
Then I altered role of postgres so, that password = NULL.
Now I am in situation that I can't run any postgres command.
What I must to do ?

Edit the pg_hba.conf(https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/auth-pg-hba-conf.html) so that the first local line is set to trust as in the 'Example 21.1. Example pg_hba.conf Entries' at the bottom of the file. It may already be set that way.

In either case when you connect do not use a host setting e.g. do not do host=localhost. This will ensure you are connecting to the local socket instead and will be using the trust authentication method and not a password. Once you are in you can alter the postgres user to have a proper password.

Regards,
Raivo

--
Adrian Klaver