Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Issues Scaling Postgres Concurrency

On 2023-03-14 22:47:43 +0100, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> On Mon, 2023-03-13 at 12:24 -0400, Harrison Borges wrote:
> > I’m running into severe performance problems with Postgres as I
> > increase the number of concurrent requests against my backend. I’ve
> > identified that the bottleneck is Postgres, and to simplify the test
> > case, I created an endpoint that only does a count query on a table
> > with ~500k rows. At 5 concurrent users, the response time was 33ms,
> > at 10 users it was 60ms, and at 20 users it was 120ms.
[...]
> > This manifests in essentially a server meltdown on production. As
> > the concurrent requests stack up, our server is stuck waiting for
> > more and more queries. Eventually requests begin timing out as they
> > start taking over 30 seconds to respond.
> >
> > Am I doing something obviously wrong? Does this sound like normal
> > behavior?
>
> That sounds like quite normal and expected behavior.
>
> A query that counts the number of rows in a table of half a million
> rows is quite expensive and keeps a CPU core busy for a while
> (provided everything is cached). At some degree of parallelism, your
> CPU is overloaded, which leads to non-linear slowdown.

The slowdown looks pretty linear to me (6ms per user).

The interesting thing is that on my laptop even two concurrent accesses
cause a 100% slowdown. I think this is because the task is actually
memory-bound: The cores may do the counting in parallel, but they have
to read the data from the same RAM (since it's too large to fit in the
CPU cache) and they have to take turns accessing it.

> The thing you are doing wrong is that you are putting too much load on
> this system.

Or possibly counting stuff far more often than necessary. If an exact
count is necessary more frequently than it changes it is probably a good
idea to store that somewhere and update it in a trigger.

(If the count doesn't have to be totally up-to-date, caching it in the
application may be even better.)

        hp