Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Properly handle OOM death?

On 3/13/23 16:18, Israel Brewster wrote:
On Mar 13, 2023, at 11:42 AM, Joe Conway <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am not entirely sure, but without actually testing it I suspect
that since memory.max = high (that is, the limit is whatever the
host has available) the OOM kill is technically a cgroup OOM kill
even though it is effectively a host level memory pressure event.

Sorry, actually meant "memory.max = max" here

Did you try setting "vm.overcommit_memory=2"?

root@novarupta:~# sysctl -w vm.overcommit_memory=2
sysctl: setting key "vm.overcommit_memory", ignoring: Read-only file system

I’m thinking I wound up with a container rather than a full VM after
all - and as such, the best solution may be to migrate to a full VM
with some swap space available to avoid the issue in the first place.
I’ll have to get in touch with the sys admin for that though.

Hmm, well big +1 for having swap turned on, but I recommend setting "vm.overcommit_memory=2" even so.

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team