Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Idea: PostgreSQL equivalent to Oracle's KEEP clause

On Tue, 7 Mar 2023 at 12:40, Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ben Clements <benhasgonewalking@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > As shown above, the following calculated column can bring in the city name,
> > even though the city name isn't in the GROUP BY:
> >    max(city) keep (dense_rank first order by population desc)
>
> You haven't really explained what this does, let alone why it can't
> be implemented with existing features such as FILTER and ORDER BY.

(It wasn't clear to me until I watched the youtube video.)

Likely KEEP is more flexible than just the given example but I think
that something similar to the example given could be done by inventing
a TOP() and BOTTOM() aggregate. Then you could write something like:

select
   country,
   count(*),
   max(population),
   bottom(city, population)
from
   cities
group by
   country
having
   count(*) > 1

the transfn for bottom() would need to remember the city and the
population for the highest yet seen value of the 2nd arg.  The
combinefn would need to find the aggregate state with the highest 2nd
arg value, the finalfn would just spit out the column that's stored in
the state.  Where this wouldn't work would be if multiple columns were
required to tiebreak the sort.

You could at least parallelize the aggregation this way. If there were
to be some form of ORDER BY in the aggregate then no parallelization
would be possible.  I'd assume since the whole thing can be done with
a subquery that the entire point of having special syntax for this
would be because we don't want to pay the price of looking at the
table twice, i.e. performance must matter, so the ability to have
parallel aggregates here seems good.

I can't quite think of a way to have parallel query and an arbitrarily
long list of columns to sort on...

For Ben, we do tend to shy away from copying other RDBMS's extensions
to the SQL language.  The problem is that copying these can cause
problems in the future if/when the standard adopts that syntax with
variations or invents something else that conflicts with the grammar
that we've added.  One example of something we didn't do was Oracle's
CONNECT BY.  Eventually, the SQL standard got WITH RECURSIVE to allow
queries on hierarchical data. Of course, we do have many of our own
extensions to the standard, so we certainly do make exceptions
sometimes. So, don't be too surprised that there's some discussion of
other methods which might make this work which don't involve copying
what someone else has done.

David