Search Postgresql Archives

Re: EMBEDDED PostgreSQL

On Jan 25, 2005, at 5:02 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

Again, I think this is fine as the default, but it would be nice if it
could be changed with a setting (rather than recompiling the source).

That can always be argued :-)

I had a feeling it would be :)

Not all Windows users are dummies about security and need
PostgreSQL to
enforce security measures beyond those implemented on other platforms.

First of all, it does *not* enforce anything beyond what's enforced on Unix. On Unix, it doesn't run as root. On Windows, it doesn't run as Administrator.

OK, perhaps I'm not comparing apples to apples. On OS X I have an administrative account and I can run PostgreSQL just fine. So what you are saying is an administrative account on Windows is more like root on Unix.

If your users are running as administrators, then you *are* very naive about security on your systems (I won't say dummy, but clearly not making a significant effort). That's where you should fix the problem.

Again, I was merely pointing out the issue for the original poster who wanted an embedded database. On Windows there is currently no way to drag any kind folder with PostgreSQL to the hard drive and run (local connections only) if the user is an administrative user. And my guess is that anyone that buys a Windows machine and sets it up themselves has one account which is an administrative user.

Personally, I have no users administrative or otherwise. And the Windows machine I typically use is not even connected to the internet :).

John DeSoi, Ph.D. http://pgedit.com/ Power Tools for PostgreSQL