Search Postgresql Archives

Dropping behavior for unique CONSTRAINTs

Hi folks,

I'm curious if there are any docs supporting the functionality behind dropping unique constraints. For context, I am interested in enforcing uniqueness on a column. This table is heavily used, and I plan on dropping the constraint in the future. I wanted to avoid using a unique index since dropping them requires an exclusive lock and cannot be done concurrently. My thought was to then use a unique constraint, since I've read unofficial docs[0] that say these can be dropped safely with no lock.

However, since a unique index would be the backing index to the unique constraint, I'm curious how this would work in practice (or if it even does!). Specifically if my theory of: "I can use a unique constraint to avoid obtaining an exclusive lock on my table" actually works.

Thanks for any and all information, it's greatly appreciated, and apologies if I missed any existing documentation.

Best,
CSB

0: https://leopard.in.ua/2016/09/20/safe-and-unsafe-operations-postgresql#.ZAEFpezMJLR