Search Postgresql Archives

Sv: PostgreSQL configuration in a VM

På fredag 17. februar 2023 kl. 09:13:10, skrev Sebastien Flaesch <sebastien.flaesch@xxxxxxx>:
Hi!

I was wondering if the is any specific configuration setting that should be used with PostgreSQL, when running in a VM...

Is there anything obvious that must be set, to get best performances with such a config?

Sorry for this general question...

In my experience the most important parameter when running in a VM is random_page_cost, and for that to be set to a sane value you need to know the characteristics of the disk available to your VM. In other words, disk IO is what you should be worried about as VMs are pretty good at scaling CPU-wise.

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh
CTO / Partner - Visena AS