Search Postgresql Archives

Re: DELETE trigger, direct or indirect?

On 2/16/23 08:55, David G. Johnston wrote:
On Thu, Feb 16, 2023 at 9:46 AM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On 2/16/23 05:23, Dominique Devienne wrote:
     > Hi. This is a bit unusual. We have a foreign key between two tables,
     > with ON DELETE CASCADE, to preserve referential integrity. But we
     > apparently also need to preserve the severed reference (by
    natural key,
     > i.e. its name), to later on reconnect the two entities
    after-the-fact,
     > should the parent row re-appear later on (in the same transaction
    or not
     > it still unclear).

    This is going to need a more detailed description of the relationship
    between the two tables:

    1) The actual FK relationship.

    2) What "...preserve the severed reference (by natural key,  i.e. its
    name)" means?

    3) What information will be used to reconnect the child rows to the
    parent rows?

Maybe the OP should be using ON DELETE SET NULL instead of CASCADE?

That is where I am headed, however it will need more information to determine whether that makes sense or not.

David J.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx