Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Using PostgreSQL for service discovery and health-check

On 2/9/23 09:40, Dominique Devienne wrote:
On Thu, Feb 9, 2023 at 5:51 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On 2/9/23 08:16, Dominique Devienne wrote:
     > On Thu, Feb 9, 2023 at 5:05 PM Adrian Klaver
    <adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx>
    The flip side of that is that with known ports it would it easier to
    have a process on the Postgres machine or in the database that checks
    the ports on regular basis. And as part of that process mark any non
    responding ports as inactive. That would solve the zombie problem.

That's one possibility. But the "reaper" process could just as well scan the service table, and probe those too. So again, I'm not sure what the fixed-port approach gains me, beside perhaps the reaper not having to connect to PostgreSQL itself. I'm OK with connecting.

As to fixed port and pulling vs services pushing, there is a security side. Not sure who controls the external services, but there is the chance that someone knowing they exist could inject their own version of a service/server. With random ports that makes that easier as you would not know what is canonical. With the pull process you have a verified(presumably) list of servers and ports they listen on.

Thanks for the your input. Always good to have one's arguments challenged by experts.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx