Search Postgresql Archives

Logical Replication - "invalid ordering of speculative insertion changes"

Hello,

We have a logical replication publisher (13.7) and subscriber (14.6) where we are seeing the following error on the subscriber. IP address and publication name changed, otherwise verbatim:

2023-01-31 15:24:50 UTC::@:[1040975]: ERROR:  could not receive data from WAL stream: ERROR:  invalid ordering of speculative insertion changes

This error occurs during the initial set up of the subscription.  We hit REFRESH, and then immediately it goes into this error state. It then repeats as it is retrying from here onwards and keeps hitting the same error.

My understanding is that the subscriber is performing some kind of reordering of the events contained within the WAL message. As it cannot then consume the message, it aborts, retries, and gets the same message and errors again.  Looking in the source code it seems there is only one place where this error can be emitted --- reorderbuffer.c:2179.  Moreover I can't tell if this is an error that I can be expected to recover from as a user.

We see this error only sometimes. Other times, we REFRESH the subscription and it makes progress as one would expect.

Can anyone advise on what we are doing wrong here?

-Joe