Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Tablespace OID, database OID, relfilenode

On 1/17/23 11:49, Wiwwo Staff wrote:
Thank you Adrian, thank you David!
So, it turns out, it *is* indeed an arbitrary constant...
I have been answered many times RTFM, it is actually the first time I have being answered RTF source code. (I searched for 1663 in PG docs, it is there, although not really "intuitive").

Allow me to humbly propose to maybe at least write somewhere in the DOCs in a clear way: "This is a number you should know, and it is arbitrary, and in some functions it will be represented as 'base'  ".
It is fundamental to know this when one uses pg_waldump, for example.

Not to start a flame war here, just humbly proposing...

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/storage-file-layout.html

"The pg_default tablespace is not accessed through pg_tblspc, but corresponds to PGDATA/base. Similarly, the pg_global tablespace is not accessed through pg_tblspc, but corresponds to PGDATA/global."

Thanks all again!

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx