Search Postgresql Archives

Re: How do the Linux distributions create the Linux user/group "postgres"?

On 1/9/23 09:11, Ron wrote:
On 1/9/23 07:15, Joe Conway wrote:
On 1/9/23 07:41, Matthias Apitz wrote:
Please note: I'm talking about the user and group "postgres" in the
Linux OS and not in the PostgreSQL server.

We're compiling PostgreSQL from source (actually 14.1) and distribute that
to our customers. They're asked to setup user and group "postgres"
before creating the cluster. As nowadays there are a lot of setup such
things in bigger installations, like LDAP or AD, etc. I'd like to know
how other installations for Linux deal with this?

See for example the PGDG RPM spec file:

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgrpms.git;a=blob;f=rpm/redhat/main/non-common/postgresql-15/main/postgresql-15.spec;h=60cd42147a7563ba76c401643d0a7c79b59d2520;hb=HEAD

8<-------------------
%pre server
groupadd -g 26 -o -r postgres >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
useradd -M -g postgres -o -r -d /var/lib/pgsql -s /bin/bash \
    -c "PostgreSQL Server" -u 26 postgres >/dev/null 2>&1 || :

What if (for example in an already-installed package) uid and gid 26 already
exist?

The "|| :" at the end of those lines is essentially "or true" -- i.e. if the first command fails *due to preexisting uid/gid, the line still evaluates as successful. Whether that is a good thing or not is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

I have thought about, and played with a bit, the idea of making the uid/gid in the community spec file a variable so that it could be passed in at rpmbuild time. But that quickly bloomed into a host of related issues -- e.g. the default "/var/lib/pgsql" for the home dir, the default "postgres" for the user/group names, and/or what to do if the username does not exist but the directory does, etc -- I ran out of energy to chase it all down.

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team