Search Postgresql Archives

Re: How do the Linux distributions create the Linux user/group "postgres"?

On 2023-01-09 07:41, Matthias Apitz wrote:
Hello,

Please note: I'm talking about the user and group "postgres" in the
Linux OS and not in the PostgreSQL server.

We're compiling PostgreSQL from source (actually 14.1) and distribute that
to our customers. They're asked to setup user and group "postgres"
before creating the cluster. As nowadays there are a lot of setup such
things in bigger installations, like LDAP or AD, etc. I'd like to know
how other installations for Linux deal with this?

Hi Matthias,

Users are generally created by the pre-install or post-install scripts of the package. The specific ways in which they are created may depend on the packaging tool being used and packager that built the distribution package.

Regards,

--
Thomas