Search Postgresql Archives

Re: REINDEX vs VACUUM

I have looked more into it and have found that VACUUM FULL (and CLUSTER) does in fact rebuild indexes, see for example: https://github.com/postgres/postgres/blob/c8e1ba736b2b9e8c98d37a5b77c4ed31baf94147/src/backend/commands/cluster.c#L1463

I have also run some tests and have come to understand that REINDEX seems to "vacuum" the index in the sense that a subsequent VACUUM on the underlying table will not find any removable entries in the index.

Ron is right, the term "vacuum" may be misleading.