Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Regular expression to UPPER() a lower case string

Hi again, and thanks for sticking with this.

> You haven't explained what you're trying to accomplish.

Ok.

CREATE TABLE test(x TEXT);

INSERT INTO test VALUES ('abc');

SELECT   REGEXP_REPLACE(x, '<something>', '<something_else>', 'g')  FROM test;

Expected result: ABC

See fiddle here: https://dbfiddle.uk/Q2qXXwtF

David Johnston suggested something along these lines:

> RegExp by itself cannot do this. You have to match all parts of the input into different capturing groups, then use lower() combined with format() to build a new string. Putting the capturing groups into an array is the most useful option.

But it's a bit above my pay grade to do this - I've tried, but no go! :-( It *_appears_* to me that the string's length would have to be hard coded under this strategy - but if that's the only way, then so be it.

I'd just be interested to see a solution based on DJ's suggestion or any other code that would use REGEXP_REPLACE() to do what I want - preferably without hard coding, but if it's absolutely necessary.

Thanks for any input.

E.