Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Index corruption revealed after upgrade to 11.17, could date back to at least 11.12

On 10/28/22 16:24, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
On 2022-10-28 17:23:02 +0300, Kristjan Mustkivi wrote:
By the way, index rebuild while completing successfully did not fix
the indexes - the data in the tables was still missing even after the
successful rebuild command.

This is surprising. As I understand it, REINDEX scans the complete table
and builds a new index. So after a REINDEX the index should be complete
and usable.

However, reading
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-reindex.html I'm unsure what
happens if you have issued a REINDEX for a table, schema, etc. and
rebuilding an index fails: Does it abort at that time or does it just
issue a notice and continue to rebuild the other indexes? In the latter
case it migh be easy to miss a problem.

Debian 9 appears to be glibc 2.24 and Debian 11 is glibc 2.31. Therefore the issue here is almost certainly corrupt indexes due to the glibc changes.

Note that some forms of the problem can manifest in primary keys or unique indexes that were valid in the original collation behavior, but contained duplicate rows according to the new collation. Those indexes would not be able to be reindexed without manual intervention.

I don't know offhand what happens if you concurrently reindex an entire database and just a few indexes fail to rebuild, but I suspect as you mentioned above the failure might easily be missed and invalid indexes would be left behind. I think you will find both indisready and indisvalid false for these indexes.

HTH,

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team