Search Postgresql Archives

Re: "peer" authentication: cannot make "pg_ident.conf" work as I believe that the doc says that it should

On 10/28/22 17:23, Bryn Llewellyn wrote:
Adrian, thank you for your reply to my « Seeking the correct term of art for the (unique) role that is usually called "postgres"... » thread here:

It got me in without error. (And, as hoped for, there was no password challenge.) But "select current_role" showed that the mapping had been ignored and that I was connected again as "bob".

*What am I doing wrong?*

You skipped over this part of my post and the documentation:

Section 21.2

"The map-name is an arbitrary name that will be used to refer to this mapping in pg_hba.conf."

This example below id for the ident auth method but the same syntax applies to peer.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/auth-pg-hba-conf.html

# TYPE  DATABASE        USER            ADDRESS                 METHOD
host all all 192.168.0.0/16 ident map=omicron

pg_ident.conf and pg_hba.conf are two separate files and the only way information gets from the former to the latter is if you explicitly include the map name under METHOD for the the auth line.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx