Search Postgresql Archives

Re: ('dog$house' = quote_ident('dog$house')) is surprisingly FALSE

On 10/7/22 17:16, Bryn Llewellyn wrote:
david.g.johnston@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:david.g.johnston@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

bryn@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:bryn@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

(3) The PG doc on quote_ident says this in large friendly letters:

Quotes are added only if necessary…

Notice "only". I now know that this is very much not the case. You can compose an effectively unlimited number of different examples along these lines:

*select quote_ident('redaktør'); → "redaktør"
create table redaktør(n int); → table successfully created
*

Yep, and that is precisely what would make for a good bug report. Pointing out that "if necessary" does not indeed match up with the behavior. I suspect it is likely to get changed - everything else being discussed just detracts attention from it.

**BRIEFLY**

What does "make for a good bug report" mean, David? Is it:

Oh for goodness sake just file a bug here:

https://www.postgresql.org/account/login/?next=/account/submitbug/

with the test case you showed in your previous post.

As to below:

1) If you want a guaranteed outcome then you are in the wrong business.

2) Excessive verbiage(writing for writing's sake) takes away from any argument you are trying to make. Less is more. I have come to the point where I ignore most of what you write as it really does not go anywhere other then make noise.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx