Search Postgresql Archives

pg SQL question

There's probably an obvious answer for this, but I couldn't see it in the
docs.  What's the simplest way to concatenate multiple same-column values
in SQL?

For example, suppose I have table foo (key integer, id integer, entry
varchar) with data

	key	id	entry
	1	1	"Four score and seven years ago our fathers "
	1	2	"brought forth on this continent, a new nation, "
	1	3	"conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the "
	1	4	"proposition that all men are created equal."

and I want to produce the following result:

"Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent,
a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that
all men are created equal."

I know this could be done writing a plpgsql function, but it seems so basic,
I thought there might be something I'm overlooking.

TIA.

Ed

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend