Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Determine if a user and database are available

> On Sep 2, 2022, at 14:22, Jeffrey Walton <noloader@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Given the NOTES in the man page, how do we determine if a user and
> database are present using the shell? Is there another utility we
> should be using?

pg_isready literally only checks that the server can be reached over the connection path (network or sockets), not that any login credentials work.  You can use psql do that, though:

	psql <connection info) -c "SELECT 1"

... will return an error if the connection information can't be used to successfully log in.