Search Postgresql Archives

Re: How to choose new master from slaves.?

On 8/6/22 03:40, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
On 2022-08-04 07:43:28 +0000, Sacheen Birhade wrote:
I have a very basic question about streaming replication feature of Postgres.
Let’s assume I have servers A, B, C, D, & E with postgres installed with
streaming replication as follow:
A  à  B ( sync replication )
A  à  C ( async replication )
A  à  D ( async replication )
A  à  E ( async replication )
A is master & rest are slaves.
Now my question is:
Assume replication link between A & B may/may not stable.
Using sync replication on an unstable link is probably not a good idea.
Every time the link goes down, A freezes. Is this what you want?

I had to fight my end users about how to replicate a SQL Server database across a WAN.  They of course wanted it synchronously replicated, but I insisted that was a horrible idea, for the exact reason you mentioned (though it "only" freezes when the untransmitted transmitted transaction logs fill of the primary database's disk).