Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Index only scans for expressional indices when querying for the expression

Hey David - thanks for the prompt response !

That is of course correct, but what I mean is that, I think that if one would explicitly query f(x), and never for x directly, it would've been
theoretically possible to say that the index is covering for every f(x), wouldn't it ?

Or in other words, if one only ever queries f(x), and the only available index is on f(x), then the index will hold all f(x) values
and would never need to reverse engineer the value of x to answer such a specific query.

Danny