Search Postgresql Archives

Re: citext on exclude using gist

On Tue, Jul 19, 2022 at 4:43 PM Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jean Carlo Giambastiani Lopes <jean.lopes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> I'm trying to use a citext column in the following manner without success:

> create extension btree_gist;
> create extension citext;
> create table my_table(
>     foo citext,
>     bar numrange,
>     primary key (foo, bar),
>     exclude using gist (foo with =, bar with &&)
> );

> is this possible? If so, what's wrong on this snippet?

btree_gist knows nothing of citext, so it's not providing any suitable
operator class.

(Code-wise it probably wouldn't be that hard to add, but I see no good way
to deal with the inter-extension connection other than to give btree_gist
a hard dependency on citext, which people wouldn't appreciate too much.)

I'd expect that creating a "btree_gist_citext" extension would provide a pathway forward here.  IIUC, it could even depend on the two extensions it is expanding upon.

David J.